KEY QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN SELECTING AN OUTSIDE SCHOOL HOURS CARE (OSHC) SERVICE
It’s important for you and your child to feel comfortable with the service you choose. Asking some of these questions might help you get the information you need to make your decision.
Hours of operation
- What hours do you open and close during the school term?
- Do you operate vacation care? How do I book it?
- What time do you take the children to school, and when do you bring them back?
- Do you operate on public holidays or on the school pupil free days?
- Will I be charged fees for public holidays or when my child is not there?
- What happens on school carnival days, or other special school days (like school fetes)?
- Has the service been quality rated, and if so, what is the service’s rating?
Activities for children
- What activities and programs are run for the children?
- Are the children asked what activities they prefer?
- What is the service’s policy on homework?
Will my child be helped with their homework?
Health and safety
- How will my child be taken to and picked up from school?
- How will you know/check if my child is due to attend OSHC for that session?
- What happens if my child doesn’t arrive at OSHC after school?
- How will I be notified about any issues or incidents that have occurred at the service?
- What safety requirements are considered when transporting my child to and from school and on excursions?
- What is your ratio of staff to children
- What food is provided for the children?
- Do you refrigerate the food that’s brought from home?
- Are there procedures for dealing with inappropriate behaviours such as bullying?
- What are your policies and procedures around rest, hygiene, medication and sun protection?
- Will there be space for my child to rest and relax after and before school?
To find quality approved early education and care in Australia visit